Eighteen dissenting Catholic politicians issued a statement of rebuke to the Pope on May 10 in regard to his statement in Mexico where he warned elected Catholic officials that holding the pro-abortion stance risks excommunication and the loss of holy communion.
“The fact is that religious sanction in the political arena directly conflicts with our fundamental beliefs about the role and responsibility of democratic representatives in a pluralistic America—it also clashes with freedoms guaranteed in our Constitution. Such notions offend the very nature of the American experiment and do a great disservice to the centuries of good work the Church has done.”
Of course, freedom is not license and no one has the right to take the lives of the innocent. Our rights do not override the child’s right to life. Sin and evil bring bondage. True freedom seeks the good. It means to live according to our nature and to respect the rights and freedoms of others, including the most marginalized, those who have no voice of their own. Man is not the measure of his own freedom. The believer knows, and the Declaration of Independence reaffirms, that everything we have is a gift of the Creator. Life and liberty are a package deal that must be respected and kept in proper relationship.
What caused the response from dissenting Catholic lawmakers? The Pope was questioned about Mexican Church leaders who were talking about excommunicating poilticians who voted to legalize abortion in Mexico City. It is said that a light in the shape of a fetus appeared upon the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe at the very time of the vote. It is the great pro-life icon that appeared on a peasant’s tilma centuries ago with the image of a pregnant Virgin Mary. Pagan human and child sacrifice was soon brougtht to an end in that part of the world.
The Pope responded:
“Yes, this excommunication was not an arbitrary one but is allowed by Canon (Church) law which says that the killing of an innocent child is incompatible with receiving communion, which is receiving the body of Christ. They (Mexican Church leaders) did nothing new, surprising or arbitrary. They simply announced publicly what is contained in the law of the Church… which expresses our appreciation for life and that human individuality, human personality is present from the first moment (of life)…Selfishness and fear are at the root of (pro-abortion) legislation. We in the Church have a great struggle to defend life…life is a gift not a threat.”
Here is the list of dishonor and shame, those who compromise the faith and betray the Gospel of Life proclaimed by Jesus Christ. The real issue is not a disagreement with the Pope, but with almighty God. Here are 17 of the 18 names:
- Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut (2262 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515)
- Joe Baca of California (1527 Longworth House Off. Bldg., Washington, D.C. 20515-0542)
- Joe Courtney of Connecticut (215 Cannon House Office Building, Washington , DC 20515)
- Anna Eshoo of California (205 Cannon Building, Washington, D.C. 20515)
- Maurice Hinchey of New York (2431 Rayburn H.O.B., Washington, DC 20515)
- Patrick Kennedy of Rhode Island (407 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515)
- James Langevin of Rhode Island (109 Cannon House Office Building, Washington D.C. 20515)
- John Larson of Connecticut (1005 Longworth HOB, Washington, D.C. 20515)
- Carolyn McCarthy of New York (106 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515)
- Betty McCollum of Montana (1714 Longworth HOB, Washington, DC 20515)
- Jim Moran of Virginia (2239 Rayburn Building, Washington, DC 20515)
- Bill Pascrell of New Jersey (2464 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515)
- Tim Ryan of Ohio (1421 Longworth House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515)
- Linda Sanchez of California (1222 Longworth Building, Washington, DC 20515)
- José Serrano of New York (2227 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515-3216)
- Hilda Solis of California (1414 Longworth House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515)
- Mike Thompson of California (231 Cannon Office Building, Washington, DC 20515)
THIS LIST IS FROM CATHOLIC WORLD NEWS, BUT ONE IS MISSING, WHO?