OPENING HYMN – O Come, O Come Emmanuel #33 in Missalette
We are drawn together in this place of prayer by a desire to share more deeply in the redemption won for us by Christ. We confess as a community and as individuals that we are sinners and have failed in many ways to bring the grace of the Gospel into our families, our society, and our own personal lives. We stand in need of God’s mercy.
GOSPEL – John 12:44-50
BRIEF HOMILY & EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE (see back page)
Response: Lord, have mercy.
• Eternal Word, you created the universe and in the fullness of time became man for our salvation: come and save us from sin.
• Lord Jesus, you have called us to be part of your Church: help us to live in a way worthy of our vocation.
• True Light, you rise above the horizon of the world to disperse the darkness of death: reawaken in us faith, hope and charity.
• Prince of Peace, you break down the walls of hatred that divide the nations: open the way to harmony and peaceful coexistence among peoples.
• Son of God, you were born as a man of the Virgin Mary: help us follow the interior action of the Holy Spirit after the example of your holy Mother.
ACT OF CONTRITION
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, I detest all my sins because of your just punishments. But most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.
Almighty God, you sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and to prepare the way of our salvation. Grant us the grace to heed their warnings and to forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The penitents go to the priests for individual confession.